The foundation stone for the Rappenof was laid as far back as the early 17th century, in 1604, by Hieronymus Hirsch, the forefather and progenitor of the family, who was to pave the way for more than 400 years of winemaking tradition. The name Rappenhof (“Black Horse Estate”) originates from the time of the current owner’s great-grandfather, who loved to ride through the Rheinhessen vineyards on his chaise drawn by black horses. Today, the owner Klaus Muths runs the estate together with his wife Karin and daughter Elisabeth.
Since the early 1970s, the estate has been a member of the VDP, the association of the German wine elite. Situated in the heart of Rheinhessen on the Rhine Plain between Mainz and Worms, the estate belongs to the small municipality of Alsheim and also cultivates sites in districts of Gundersblum, Ludwigshohe, Dienheim and Oppenheim, as well as the renowned Roter Hang in Nierstein.