Gabriëlskloof Cabernet Franc 2020


In stock

SKU: GS009-20 Category:
Region: Bot River, South Africa
Grapes: Cabernet Franc
Soil: Overberg shale and Table Moutain Sandstone
Winemaking: Hand-picked and 80% of the crop was destemmed with the remaining 20% left as whole clusters.The wine was fermented wild and aged in 500L barrels for 18 months, with 30% new French Oak used.
Alcohol: 14%
Annual Production: 4,262 bottles
The wine is unmistakably Cabernet Franc, with notes of bell pepper, cranberry, and strawberry leading into a typical grainy palate with succulent, juicy tannins and lively acidity. Grippy and fresh, tight and savoury, the fine tannins combine with just enough grip to balance the concentrated red fruit.
Gabriëlskloof is the realisation of a dream for South African Bernhard Heyns, who searched for several years to find the unique piece of land that would 'root him to the spot'. Local farmer Barry Anderson had heard about Bernhard’s mission and arranged to meet him on a windy summer’s day in 2001 at a farm called "Avontuur" on the outskirts of Botrivier. Both immediately recognised the potential of this piece of land (at the time covered with wheat and canola, and home to a few wandering sheep) and soon after, Bernhard bought what is today Gabriëlskloof.
Reviews & Awards